[Duplicity-talk] Re: How to run duplicity with a Cron Job

From: Martin Müller
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: How to run duplicity with a Cron Job
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:05:08 +0100

> > # Ouch.  Can you think of a better way?  Hint: using a public key
> > # isn't any better, since you still need the password to verify
> > # the copied stuff.
> > 0 0 * * * PASSPHRASE="Boy, it sure is painful to store my passphrase in my
> > cron file" duplicity ...
>
> A marginal improvement would be to call duplicity from a shell script:
>
> ------->8---------------------
> #!/bin/sh
>
> . /root/duplicity-pass
> export PASSPHRASE
>
> duplicity [...]
> ------->8---------------------
>

> /root/duplicity-pass would of course be mode 700, and contain a line
> of the form
>
> PASSPHRASE="hackme"
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Dominic Hargreaves | http://www.larted.org.uk/~dom/
> PGP key 5178E2A5 from the.earth.li (keyserver,web,email)

Hello!

So first of all Thank You for your help.

I think that there is no 100% solution to avoid telling passwordphrases to
duplicity.
Because you must tell duplicity e.g the password for FTP connection, a intruder
could also
login to your FTP remote Server and delete all backup archives.

Make it over a shell script would be best, but if the attacker gets root
permission on the Server
... it´s to late anyway.

Backing up per hand and not with the help of a cron job isn´t that convinient I
think it should be.

The PASSPHRASE="***" option is not described in the manual, so I couldn´t find
it.

Thanks to all of you for help!

Greetings from Germany

Martin