[Duplicity-talk] Re: Question for Linux Kernel Hackers

From: Will Dyson
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Question for Linux Kernel Hackers
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 02:31:35 -0500

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 02:03, Ben Escoto wrote:

> So, does this make sense?  Am I missing something silly?  I'm not
> familiar with kernel programming, so it's quite possible.  The kernel
> file systems I've read have all used bread() or similar to read
> data---would there be complications in using a socket instead?  Is
> there a better/easier way to do what I want?

The basic concept is quite sound. In fact, there are at least two
projects out there that provide the kernel driver portion and a
userspace framework for you to tie into.

LUFS: http://lufs.sourceforge.net/lufs/

FUSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf

I like FUSE's architecture a little better, but I'd have a look at both
and pick the userspace framework you like best for development.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman