[Duplicity-talk] Re: Help me replace tar!

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Help me replace tar!
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:03:46 -0700

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:59:41 +0200 (CEST)
Joerg Schilling <address@hidden> wrote:
> Star is very close to the standard. In fact, it is the TAR
> implementation that AFAIK is closest to the standard.
>
> THE way to go for an archiver is to use the extensible POSIX.1-2001
> format.  Star is the first tar implementation for the POSIX.1-2001
> tar format aka. PAX.  During the last two years, star did add a lot
> of features based on POSIX.1-2001 extensions. This allows star to
> implement things that other tar implementations cannot do.

Where can I get a copy of this POSIX.1-2001 standard?  When I first
wrote the relevant portions of duplicity, one of the main reasons I
used GNU tar format was because I could easily download a clear
description of it.

>From what I've heard though, I agree that your star is superior to GNU
tar.  Not sure why distributions haven't moved to make it standard.

> In the future, there will be a star based backup that is not worse in any
> specific feature compared to ufsdump/ufsrestore. This will include a compact
> full directory at the beginning of the tape...

And this is part of the POSIX-1.2001 standard?

> You may also like to check the archive format documentation
>
> http://www.fokus.gmd.de/usr/schilling/private/star.html
> http://www.fokus.gmd.de/usr/schilling/private/man/star.4.html

This lists some keywords and extensions to the basic format, but not
the basic format itself.

--
Ben Escoto