Re: [Duplicity-talk] security issues

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] security issues
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 14:06:12 -0600

dean gaudet <address@hidden> writes:

> you should be able to use command=/usr/bin/scp to limit a key to using
> only scp.

Right, but the admin might still worry about the client being able to
scp random other files on the system from the backup host back to the
client.  Of course we may not be all that interested in accomodating
that level of concern.

I've also wondered if having a bit more sophistication on both the
client and server side might allow you to create a system somewhat
like amanda's command line restore client where you can browse/select
the bits you want to restore.

Going one step further, I've also thought about a system where
individual users have read-only access to the backup system and can
see and restore any files they'd normally have access to.  However I
realized after a bit of thinking that there are some complex issues to
consider since such a capability could allow users access to files
that the admin had intentionally made unavailable in the current
filesystem whenever those files are still available to the user
somewhere in the archive...

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu