dragora-users

Re: [Dragora-users] [musl] Darkcrusade 2017Jun09 (cross compiler set)

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] [musl] Darkcrusade 2017Jun09 (cross compiler set)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 17:07:30 -0300

Hi mzpqnxow,

I was expecting something like what you just wrote, and it's my
fault.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 06:53:41 +0000
mzpqnxow <address@hidden> wrote:

> I briefly looked over the page but it's not clear to me what it is..
> is it a distribution? Or just a toolchain builder?

Both are related.  The cross-compiler is part of a generic method to
create a native cross-compiler based on musl.  The same one is used to
create the rest of a gnu/linux distribution based on musl, this belongs
to the development version of Dragora, the work involved in the
(incoming) version 3.

darkcrusade[1] is a simple script to invoke another tool[2] called
`bootstrap'[2].

[1] http://dragora.org/repo.fsl/artifact/61f6fe7c789f8e8f
[2] http://dragora.org/repo.fsl/artifact/d3e895bc073d1596

Normally, the process occurs in the stage number 0:

  http://dragora.org/repo.fsl/dir?ci=748dd8685839157a&name=stages/0

> I'm wondering if it's similar to
> https://github.com/richfelker/musl-cross-make (which is a one step
> way to build an arbitrary musl toolchain, and is excellent) or if it
> makes use of it (if you're building musl toolchains it probably ought
> to.

Thanks, I am aware of the existence of musl-cross-make.

I've started before in order to learn more about the cross-compilers
and with the goal to have a full toolchain based on musl.  Darkcrusade
is more like a descendent of musl-cross by Gregor Richards.

I don't have the intention to compite with other projects, in this case
with musl-cross-make.  Hope darkcrusade can be a good contribution to
the community.

> Sorry if I missed something obvious, but it sounds interesting and I'm
> curious, but just didn't see a clear/concise/understandable
> explanation of what it is exactly.

I know.  I am full dedicated to the project, but the work for the
next version of the distro has me busy (very occupied), I have not yet
taken the time to document everything, including all the details for
the bootstrap method/darkcrusade.

If it's worth, see http://dragora.org/repo.fsl/wiki?name=Cross+compilers

Thanks for your interest,
Matías