dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] Flag handling for Intel E5405 CPUs

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] Flag handling for Intel E5405 CPUs
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 22:28:53 +0200

Bonjour François,

On Mon, 28 May 2012 14:55:05 -0400, Francois Gaudreault wrote:
> Just a simple question here. I know this is a quite old CPU, but I would
> like to know why HTT is listed in the flag list while Hyper-Threading is
> not supported on E5400 Series of Intel?  Is this an OS limitation or
> BIOS buggy stuff?

Neither. The HTT flag is described as "Multi-Threading" in recent
versions of the Intel CPUID document [1], not "Hyper-Threading". In
more details, the document says: "The physical processor package is
capable of supporting more than one logical processor." This covers both
hyper-threading (which your CPU doesn't implement) and multi-core
(which your CPU does implement.) So it's OK for your CPU to have the
HTT flag set and thus OK for dmidecode to tell you so.

[1] http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/appnote/241618.pdf
--
Jean Delvare