dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] Decoding of DMI dumps

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] Decoding of DMI dumps
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:39:28 +0100

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> I am not wasting my time with someone who can't understand a simply
> request such as "please keep the list Cc'd", sorry.

Sorry for this. I pressed wrong button. Twice :(.
Reposting:
Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> Please keep the list Cc'd.
>
> On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:56:24 +0100, phcoder wrote:
>> Hello, thank you for attention and fast reply. dmidecode 2.10 is able to parse SMBIOS dumps containing _SM_ or _DMI_ anchor but not pure tables dump. The later format is the one that is available through OSX ioreg -lw0 and perhaps some other tools.
>
> It is not possible to properly decode a DMI table without knowing which
> version of SMBIOS it implements, as decoding of some fields depend on
> the version. This is the reason why the binary dumps generated and read
> by dmidecode have an entry point at the beginning of the file.

The version may be passed as an command-line argument
> I am not sure why you want to use ioreg in the first place. Doesn't
> dmidecode work on OSX?

Two things:
1) ioreg is accessible even by unprivileged user
2) output of "ioreg -lw0" contains complete system information. So when someone asks we for help with his system it's much easier to ask them to send output of "ioreg -lw0" then explaining how to install different diagnostic tools. So having to be able to decode SMBIOS from "ioreg -lw0" would be very useful
Thanks
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko