dmidecode-devel

Re: Tomasz Chmielewski - Antw: [dmidecode] dmidecode Windows binary?

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Subject: Re: Tomasz Chmielewski - Antw: [dmidecode] dmidecode Windows binary?
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:16:34 +0200

Hugo Weber schrieb:
Does the cygwin version also works on windows 2003 SP1 and Vista?

Unfortunately it will not work because of /dev/mem problem - see this thread on Cygwin list for more info:

  Accessing \device\physicalmemory from privileged
  user mode processes works only on NT4, W2K and XP.  Starting with 2K3,
  access to physical memory has been restricted to work only in kernel
  mode.

I'm not sure if there are any workarounds to that. I asked on a Cygwin mailing list, let's see what they say:

Tomasz Chmielewski