dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] Detecting dual-core processor

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] Detecting dual-core processor
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:01:03 +0100

Giulio,

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:59:50 +0100, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Jean Delvare <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Processor Information
> >        (...)
> >        Core Count: 2
> >        Core Enabled: 2
> >        Thread Count: 2
> >
> > Of course dmidecode can only display the information if the BIOS has
> > filled these fields in the first place, which means that the BIOS must
>
> What's "thread count"?
>
> I mean, the above is 1 CPU with 2 cores and then HT?

About the thread count, the SMBIOS specification says: "It is a
processor-wide count, not a thread-per-core count." Please refer to
section 3.3.5.8 of the SMBIOS 2.5 specification for additional details.

So the above is a dual-core CPU, which supports two threads (one thread
per core.)

> So, If running a linux kernel with smp and all stuff enabled, will I
> see 2 CPUs (2 cores) or 4 (2 cores X 2 HT)?

What _you_ will see depends on your hardware. Just give a try to
dmidecode CVS on your hardware if you want to know.

If you refer to the output I quoted above, /proc/cpuinfo would include
two entries for that CPU (one per thread.)

Hope that helps,
--
Jean Delvare