dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] Dmidecode 2.8 has been released

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] Dmidecode 2.8 has been released
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:16:40 +0100

[Jean Delvare]
> > Well, the format change which happened in version 2.7 was rather
> > more intrusive, and nobody complained as far as I know. I don't
> > expect the removal of a trailing period to affect anyone out there.

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> I guess we will find out.  I'm not sure exactly how the
> debian-installer people are using dmidecode, but I believe they use it
> to detect laptops, number of CPUs or something like that.  And as far
> as I know they started doing that after version 2.7 was released,
> which is the reason I was a bit worried.  I hope their regexes are
> robust. :)

I've fetched debian-installer and took a look. They seem to only use
dmidecode as part of their report-hw tool which, if I get it right, is
used to report after the installation has completed. If so, slight
variations of the output format shouldn't worry them at all.

Unless of course the sent reports are then automatically processed in
some way. If this is the case, I don't know where the code doing that
is, so I can't comment on it.

--
Jean Delvare