dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] Dmidecode 2.6 to be released soon

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] Dmidecode 2.6 to be released soon
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:33:14 +0100

[Chad Smith]
> I got a chance to drop dmidecode on our IPF boxes and build under
> SLES 9 and Redhat Enterprise Linux 3. There are still problems with
> dmidecode crashing a superdome. But, this is a Linux kernel problem,
> not a dmidecode problem. These machines MCA when /dev/mem is accessed
> at the dmidecode table addresses.  Dmidecode is doing what it is
> supposed to on IPF, so we are going to try to address the kernel issue
> here in the lab.

OK, thanks for the feedback. I will be releasing dmidecode 2.6 now [1].

For the superdome, have you tried both regular reads and mmap? Dmidecode
now defaults to mmap, as you know it has allowed to workaround a number
of problems in the past. However, not all systems might like it. Feel
free to disable mmap (in config.h) and see if it helps. I wouldn't hope
too much, but who knows.

[1] Actually Savannah seems to have some problems right now, which may
delay the operation.

--
Jean Delvare