dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] "current speed" greater than "max speed"?

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] "current speed" greater than "max speed"?
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:38:57 +0100

> What does it mean when dmidecode says that a CPU's "current speed" is
> greater than its "max speed"?
>
> Is this an indication of overclocking?

No it's not, at least not in the common accpeption of the term (CPU
running at a higher frequency than that it was designed to run at in the
first place). The "max speed" refers to the motherboard, not the CPU. Of
course there is still something wrong if "current speed" is greater than
"max speed". This can be either of:

1* The CPU is running faster that what the motherboard supposedly
supports. Unlikely, since the system would probably not boot at all in
this case.

2* The DMI data is wrong. One possible reason would be that the BIOS was
updated over time to support newer CPUs but the DMI data was not
properly updated to reflect that. Or the table was simply improperly
filled in the first place.

This is a common error, I've already seen this on several systems. I
guess that the "current speed" is correct and the "max speed" isn't.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/