dmca-activists

Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Balkin on 1st Amendment + DMCA,

From: horrorvacui
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Balkin on 1st Amendment + DMCA, post-Eldred
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 02:04:31 +0100

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:25:31 -0600
"Dr. John Raymond Baker" <address@hidden> wrote:

> But, the public must band together much as the Roman "fasces"..a group
> of sticks bundled together that alone,  could be broken,  but bound
> together by a common purpose, are unbreakable.

Seeing that the roman "fasces" are what gave fascism the name, I can only
hope this is a slip of tongue, and advise not to use this in public or
elsewhere. The thought behind the fasces is that they have in fact to be
"bound together", thus loosing their individuality. This is not necessary
in a loose community that's pursuing a common goal. We've proven that we
can cooperate without being "bound together" by means of a fuehrer,
totalitarian structures, hate... good will is quite enough.
I grant you that this expression has been misused by Mussolini and his
followers by twisting the meaning into what suited them. But that has no
importance; I'm surely not the only one to recognise it, and whoever else
recognises it will associate it in a way you didn't intend. Having come so
often out of fascist's mouths, it has the bad breath still sticking to it.
Mussolini, by the way, often used exactly the same words to describe his
movement - that should be enough not to repeat them.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714