dmca-activists

Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] NY Arena, 1/16: Brett Wynkoop o

From: Serge Wroclawski
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] NY Arena, 1/16: Brett Wynkoop on Threats to Amateur Radio in the Digital Age
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:27:19 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Ruben I Safir wrote:

> But Brett is not a member of NY Fair Use and NY Fair USe is located on the web
> at http://fairuse.nylxs.com
>
> Thanks for the correction.

A few points.

First, while I can understand some people's frustration with various
groups, please, can we keep the lists relevant. I appreciate Seth's
announcments, but am finding my inboxes cluttered with various people
using mailing lists as sounding boards for other issues.

The only list I believe I'm subscribed to above is the FSF run DMCA
Activist list, and there's a reason for that.

In other words, if I were subscribed to other lists about things like drug
policies, the potential war in Iraq, etc. I would know how to subscribe
myself to such lists, but I choose not to.

The same goes for internal politics between groups. I'm not a member of
any of the aforementioned groups in New York, and I don't care who is
what. I'm sure I can't be the only one who feels this way.

As to this specific name issue, it seems fairly clear to me that there are
two groups with different (but similar) names, one being

"NY Fair Use" and the other being "New Yorkers For Fair Use", both with
different names and addresses, as well as different people who run them.

Is this confusing? Possibly, but that's what trademark is for. Trademark
is designed so that groups (individuals, organizations and companies) can
make sure thier identity is not confused with someone else.

If either organization has gone ahead and trademarked themselves (and or
if either is a legally recognized organization) I would encourage them to
go ahead and seek action which would clear up this confusion. This could
be anything from a discussion over beer, to a mediator, to a courtroom.

I hope that this issue is resolved, but as I said before, I don't care
how or where; I just want it to stop cluttering my inbox! :)

- Serge Wroclawski