dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Ideas for DMCA Exemption Classes of

From: James McGuigan
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Ideas for DMCA Exemption Classes of Works
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:20:37 -0000

Not sure if anyone has given this much thought or not, but with the
semi-recent news about bio-chips which get implanted under the skin (for ID
or other purposes), while it hasn't become an issue yet, I can foresee the
DMCA being used to prevent people from reading / modifying the software that
is used in chips implanted in their own skin (assuming that the chips become
able to be reprogrammed without physical removal).

Personally I would have a very hard time letting someone put such a chip in
me unless the software being used was fully open-sourced and I also
understood exactly what it was doing and how I could edit it and be fully in
control of what I had in me - though chances are that if these things do
ever become popular, that a few of these chips might come pre-packaged, or
updated to do something other than in my best interests.

I can also foresee somewhat similar problems with nanotechnology if it ever
gets developed to a commercial level, though this I guess is really an
extension of your first point, which is the use of anti-circumvention of
software laws to limit the uses/functionality or to enforce controls on
computer hardware.

Another potential problem with a DMCA / DRM combo, though not sure how best
to describe the condition in a general sense, is for instance a case where a
company/government makes a public statement but using a 30-day view DRM so
that if they decided to contradict themselves a year down the line it would
be alot harder or even illegal to dig up the old records showing that this
was the case. AFAIK this hasn't happened yet, but in a big brother
scenario - remember those memory holes, every time you are finished with a
bit of paper you throw it in a memory hole, you can always get another copy
from the ministry of truth.

I know these are not issues which are currently causing a problem, but based
on past experiences seem to be fairly likely to cause future problems.

--
Rules are written for those who lack the ability to truly reason,
But for those who can, rules become nothing more than guidelines,

The Stars! FAQ (www.starsfaq.com)
Earth Emergency - A Call to Action (www.earthemergency.com)