Re: FreeBSD ports for GDL2 and GSWeb

From: Edwin Ancaer
Subject: Re: FreeBSD ports for GDL2 and GSWeb
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 15:25:34 +0200

Hi,

I don't know the right procedures to handle this: obviously, someone will have to make the changes David propose in gnustep/libs-gdl2, and there probably will be more to come. Is there a maintainer for this repository I should contact? As the proposed changes are rather easy, I don't mind doing them myself, but then I would like some explanation on the  best way to do this. practcally.  Also, a warning, I'm just 'Joe the programmer', I have no computer science degree nor exceptional programming skills, so I might get stuck when things become more complex.

Kind regards,

Op di 21 mei 2019 om 10:13 schreef David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org>:
Ooops, hit sent too soon:

On 21/05/2019 08:26, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> In file included from ../EOControl/EOQualifier.h:36:
> ../EOControl/EOKeyValueArchiver.h:84:3: error: unknown type name
> 'NSMutableArray'
>    NSMutableArray *_allUnarchivedObjects;
>    ^

It looks as if EOKeyBalueArchiver.h is missing a #import
<Foundation/NSArray.h>

> ../EOControl/EOQualifier.h:239:12: error: cannot define category for
> undefined class 'NSArray'
> @interface NSArray (EOQualifierExtras)
>             ^
> /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/GNUstepBase/GSObjCRuntime.h:92:8:
> note: forward declaration of class here
> @class  NSArray;
>          ^
> In file included from EOKeyValueQualifier.m:57:
> ../EOControl/EOQualifier.h:239:12: error: cannot define category for
> undefined class 'NSArray'
> @interface NSArray (EOQualifierExtras)
>             ^
> /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/GNUstepBase/GSObjCRuntime.h:92:8:
> note: forward declaration of class here
> @class  NSArray;
>          ^

And so is EOQualifier.h.  Old GNUstep code tends not to import all of
Foundation.h, which also means that it will be slower to build on a
modern compiler / build system that uses precompiled headers.  Just
sticking #import <Foundation/Foundation.h> at the top will fix most of
these issues.

> EOKeyComparisonQualifier.m:190:7: warning: 'sel_eq' is deprecated
> [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
>    if (sel_eq(_selector, EOQualifierOperatorEqual) == YES)

This should be sel_isEqual.  It looks as if this code hasn't been
updated for at least 10 years, so getting it to build at all may be an
interesting experience.

David