Re: Linker error while trying to use arc

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Linker error while trying to use arc
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 17:10:52 +0100

On 01/05/2019 13:06, Ivan Vučica wrote:

On Wed 1 May 2019 at 09:03, David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org <mailto:gnustep@theravensnest.org>> wrote:

    On 30/04/2019 18:12, Ivan Vučica wrote:
     > I don't think you installed libobjc2. Its .so is called libobjc2.so*.

    This is not true.  It is intended to be a drop-in replacement for the
    old gcc runtime, so uses the same name for the binary.

Oops. Apologies for handing out wrong advice. In my defense, there’s nonzero amount of google results for “libobjc2.so” :)

Given it’s (to my knowledge) not compatible with GCD runtime, and thus not actually a drop in replacement, was that a good idea?

I presume GCD is a typo. It is compatible with the GCC runtime, and (still, though not if you disable old ABI compat in CMake) able to work with code compiled with GCC.

I tried making the test suite build with gcc a little while ago, but it turns out that about 80% of the tests check functionality that GCC doesn't support, so I never committed it. The tests that did compile with GCC still worked.

If GCD is not a typo and you mean libdispatch: libobjc2 imports the hooks that libdispatch exports for ARC memory management.

I think incompatibility is why I always assumed it’s not named libobjc.so.

Most users of the first libobjc2 releases were using it with gcc.

David