Re: runtime 2.0 issues.

From: Andreas Fink
Subject: Re: runtime 2.0 issues.
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 17:20:51 +0100

> On 6 Mar 2019, at 17:15, David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org> wrote:
>
> On 06/03/2019 01:29, Andreas Fink wrote:
>> I just retried with clang-8 compiled from source.
>> Indeed this problem in ./configure of gnustep-base went away.
>> However all tests still fail.
>> its compiled this way during the test:
>> clang  -Wl,-rpath,/Users/afink/development/gnustep2/base/Source/./obj
>> -rdynamic -rdynamic -rdynamic  -rdynamic -pthread  -fexceptions
>> -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-2.0 -fblocks -o obj/basictypes
>> ./obj/basictypes.obj/basictypes.m.o
>> -L/Users/afink/development/gnustep2/base/Source/./obj
>> -L/root/GNUstep/Library/Libraries -L/usr/local/lib -lgnustep-base -lpthread
>> -lobjc -lm
>> this produces a binary without an error but when running the binary, you
>> simply get a segfault. and thats the case for all binaries created in the
>> test.
>> Running it in lldb shows that it throws an exception which then while in the
>> exception, it creates an exception which then creates a recursive infinite
>> loop until the stack is filled up.
>> Its caused by this:
>
> This looks like the issue that I already told you about with BFD ld failing
> to correctly link -base Additions.  Did you link -base with Gold or LLD
> (which work) or BFD ld (which doesn't)?

Well linking with lld is not an option as its "too new" under clang-8 as I
gathered from previous tests.
this was linked with standard linker of the system. Not sure how I change that
easiest under ./configure of gnustep-base.
Or do you mean the linking at the time of libobjc2.so ? That one has
CMAKE_LINKER=/usr/bin/ld (default)

and that's version:

# ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.28
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.