Re: libobjc2/gnustep-base also failing under FreeBSD

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: libobjc2/gnustep-base also failing under FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:04:58 +0000

On 11/02/2019 15:51, Patryk Laurent wrote:
Would the command "portsnap fetch update" help here? (Still new to FreeBSD
here...)

portsnap fetches a new ports tree. Unless you're building ports from source, you shouldn't run it (and, if you are, you still shouldn't run it, you should use poudriere to run it on your behalf and build you a clean package set).

If you're using binary packages, the pkg tool will grab them from one of two repos. The latest repo contains the latest version of the packages, the quarterly one contains a branch with periodic (mostly security) backports. There aren't enough people actively back porting things to the quarterly branches for them to be worthwhile to use, so I always use the latest one, though I think the default changed a little while ago to encourage people to use the quarterly ones. At the very least, it does insulate users from accidental breakage - if a port isn't buildable when the builders get to it then the latest set may be missing packages for it for a couple of days (as happened with the gnustep-make port where someone helpfully 'fixed' it last week just before the package was built and we then failed to build packages for anything that depended on it).

David