Re: Gorm don't work

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Gorm don't work
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 13:23:17 +0100

> Am 25.01.2019 um 12:29 schrieb David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org>:
>
> On 22/01/2019 22:15, Germán Arias wrote:
>> 2019-01-22 16:01:48.065 Gorm[5259:5259] GormDocument.m:109  Assertion
>> failed in GormDocument(instance), method _docWindow.  Unable to find
>> _window ivar in NSDocument class
>
> This looks like it's in the code I changed for compatibility with the new
> ABI.  Gorm is now using reflection to find private ivars in GNUstep, rather
> than accessing them directly (accessing private ivars in the new ABI will now
> cause a link failure anywhere other than the compilation unit containing the
> @implementation).
>
> If this assertion fails, it means that the Objective-C compiler / runtime
> that you are using is not able to find reflection metadata for the _window
> ivar in NSDocument.  This is quite worrying, because looking up ivars via the
> reflection APIs worked even back in the GCC 3.x days.

It is a lot easier than that. You just made a small mistake and used an
NSString here instead of a C String. Of course this cannot work, with neither
of the compilers. Which just shows that nobody did recompile and use Gorm after
your change.
I fixed this in git and this specific issue should be gone now. There are a lot
of other compiler warnings I get when compiling Gorm and there is also the
runtime warning about _popUpItemAction:, but that should not block the usage of
Gorm.

Cheers
Fred