Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer

From: Patrick CARDONA
Subject: Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 20:49:43 +0200

On 2018-07-24 19:48:14 +0200 Yavor Doganov <yavor@gnu.org> wrote:

> В Tue, 24 Jul 2018 18:43:24 +0200, Patrick CARDONA написа:
>
>> I started from a clean GNUstep folder, and things went better, as
>> expected :
>> - Alt/Meta Keys work again.
>
> So it was due to some default that you have set in your Ubuntu
> environment.
>
>> As You told me about I could meet some downgrade behaviour due to older
>> versions, do You think I should add Backports repositories in my
>> /etc/apt/sources.list ?
>
> No; there are no backports of GNUstep packages.  We never had requests
> from users for backports and they wouldn't be possible in many cases
> due to new versions of the libraries that are not available in stable.
> That's certainly true for GNUMail's newest release which requires
> Pantomime 1.3.0 and that's not available even in unstable (it's been
> in the NEW queue[0] for a month, waiting for ftpmasters' approval).
>
> [0] https://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html
>
>> Do You thing also Testing is stable enought with GNUstep software ?
>
> Well, it depends on your usage pattern and priorities.  Using testing
> is perfectly fine in many scenarios.  Should you decide to switch to
> testing, please note that upgrading is not guaranteed to work, it's
> safer to use the weekly images [1].
>
> [1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/
>
>> I thought - and obviously I was wrong - that Debian was more up to
>> date than Ubuntu.
>
> Debian is more up to date than Ubuntu, that's right (with some
> exceptions when Ubuntu do some library transitions in advance).  But
> you switched from Ubuntu's last stable release to Debian's last stable
> release and they are never in sync.  Stretch was released more than a
> year ago so it's natural that the software is older.
>
>> Also, I would like to deal with a lighter install process : no Gnome
>> desktop (no Desktop tasksel), just the basic X server, wmaker and
>> GNUstep apps with a few other (firefox, and so on...) which I did
>> wrappers.
>
> This should be easily doable if you select Expert mode in the Debian
> Installer.
>
>> Maybe I should not backup the GNUstep directory ? Maybe, if I install on
>> Debian again, it is not a matter...
>
> If you install Debian testing, there shouldn't be discrepancies
> because the package versions are (almost) the same in Bionic.  So it's
> likely to work.
>
>> But I need first to understand how the things could work this way. For
>> example, when I use the dockapp wmudmount to mount my USB external
>> drive, the disk icon do not show up on the desktop.
>
> There is no such package, perhaps it was a typo?
>
>> I need to refresh ("Tools/Hide desktop" then "Tools/Show desktop")
>> to see this icon on the desktop of the workspace.
>
> This is probably a GWorkspace bug, could be fixed.

Hi Yavor,

Thanks for Your aknowledgement.

Well, I got wmudmount.app [1] from a rpm and converted this app with Alien.
[1] https://www.dockapps.net/wmudmount

It is true that it does not come from Debian repository.
But I did not found a simple way to manage usb disks in the user space.
Maybe I do not the things the right way within GWorkspace. But I did not find a
tuto about this.
Is GWorkspace using DBUS messaging between apps and udisks2 ?

About GNUstep user directory, I was speaking about the new one which is cleaner
than the older from Ubuntu.
I dropped the Ubuntu one, so my question was about migrating from Debian to
Debian (maybe stable to testing)
So what happens when a user want to upgrade : are some sub-directories to
conserve, like $HOME/GNUstep/Library and $HOME/GNUstep/Applications and others
to be dropped ?

Bye!
Patrick