Re: Where's it going?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Where's it going?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 14:36:56 +0200

Hi Graham,

I also prefere to stay out of such general discussions and will only reply to
the one point below.

> Am 15.06.2018 um 09:28 schrieb Graham Lee <graham@iamleeg.com>:
>
> > However I anticipate a conclusion: why do you need goals to contribute?
> There will be something that attracts you in GNUstep: talk to the
> contributor of that part and start using and providing patches. Or just
> work on the long buglist we have!
>
> I have not observed this to work. I have months-old pull requests and
> patches, and years-old bugs, that have not been triaged, even to say "we are
> not interested in this" or "this is bad and you are bad". Hence me asking,
> what sort of contributions are the project team looking for?

Are you referring to the pull request on GitHub? We maintainers don’t get any
notification from GitHub when a new pull request is created. The only way to
find out about them is to go through all the different modules and check
whether there is a new one. Not a very efficient system. I would suggest that
you go through all of the GNUstep sub projects yourself to see how time
consuming that process really is.
Today I found your pull request plus two others that add Japanes language
support to base and gui. I merged all three of them. But in the future if you
want your pull request to be handled faster, please add at least one GNUstep
maintainer to it as reviewer, for base Richard and for gui and back Ivan or me.
That way we will get a mail about it.

Cheers,
Fred