Re: GNUstep and valgrind

From: amon
Subject: Re: GNUstep and valgrind
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 09:53:34 -0500

Thanks for all the discussion. Very useful. A few new folks
got involved, so I'll re-iterate that the environment is a
circa 2012 Ubuntu LTS with gcc tool chain on an board intended
for embedded systems which is difficult to upgrade to new
releases and quite brick-able. I may change at some point in
the future when that is feasible but for the moment clang is
out. I went through hell with some issues of installing clang
into some versions of Mint and Ubuntu... there was a serious
compiler issue that I spent a month figuring out and built up
a matrix of OS's. I got it down to a simple test program that
crashed if the system was faulty. Greg can probably tell you
about it. He may remember answering questions as the horror
story developed.

That's one reason why I'm sticking to gcc until our hardware
vendor upgrades to an LTS that is significantly past the
period in which the issue sometimes happened.

That's just some of the back story... not asking for any
advice on the above, that's just what went on when I put in
a couple months of engineering time at XCOR Aerospace into
trying to get clang running so I could get ARC. It was painful.

So its a given that for now, I am constrained to gcc.

Also, this is not a new program, so I am trying to develop
the least possible change set to fix the storage management
issues... it's about 10,000 lines of operationally tested
code, some of which pre-dates using GNUstep entirely.

It makes life interesting and adds lots of constraints.

So again, thank you for the discussion. It has a lot of ideas
percolating in my head as I face the new day of coding. :-)

|   Dale Amon                  Immortal Data                    |
|   CEO             Midland International Air and Space Port    |
| amon@vnl.com       "Data Systems for Deep Space and Time"     |