Re: GNUMail app and gmail

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUMail app and gmail
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 22:28:06 +0100

Hi,

On 2017-12-14 20:33:19 +0100 Daniel Santos <daniel.dlds@gmail.com> wrote:

My distribution is raspbian (from retropie project)
The versions of the software are (from the package manager):
    - gnustep                            7.8
    - gnustep-back-common                0.24.0-4
    - gnustep-back0.24                    0.24.0-4
    - gnustep-back0.24-cairo                0.24.0-4
    - gnustep-base-common                1.24.7-1
    - gnustep-base-runtime                1.24.7-1
    - gnustep-common                    2.6.6-3
    - gnustep-core-devel                    7.8
    - gnustep-core-doc                    7.8
    - gnustep-devel                        7.8
    - gnustep-gui-common                0.24.0-3
    - gnustep-gui-doc                    0.24.0-3
    - gnustep-gui-runtime                    0.24.0-3
    - gnustep-icons                        1.0-5
    - gnustep-make                        2.6.6-3
    - gnustep-make-doc                    2.6.6-3

0.24 is a bit old, we had 0.25 for quite some time and 0.26 is now just out (but cannot be build until we release also base. However, I don't remember we fied such grave bugs, but maybe Fred or Ivan may remember better. In other words, I did not make changes into GNUMail from the times of 0.24 that should stop it working.

    - gcc-4.4                            4.4.7-4
    - make                            4.0-8.1
    - libff6                            3.1-2
    - libcairo2                            1.14.0-2.1+deb8u2

I think that is quite fine.

I have two ARM setups: A raspberry PI with NetBSD and a PI 3 with Raspbian like you.
However, on both I built GNUstep from source.
On both GNUMail displays fine.

I built the GNUMail version 1.2.3 from the webpage.
BTW is there a publicly available version control system with the code
(readonly) ?

There are only minor cosmetic fixes since 1.2.3 IIRC, however look here:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/svn/?group=gnustep-nonfsf

You can also just checkout frameworks/pantomime and apps/gnumail

I will uninstall all this and try to build from source, despite the problem
I found on debian 9 (intel), see my other email.

As said, I can build on Rasbian from scratch gnustep with GCC without issues.

You mentioned having a Mac, what OS? you can run gnumail on it. I can build GNUMail on 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. I can run it on 10.7, but currently not build it, also I can build on 10.4 a 10.3 compatible version, but not build on 10.3... It runs perfectly both on PPC and Intel, so the code is reasonably portable, until it remains 32bit only, there is esplicit a block in pantomime against 64bit I have not investigated.

Thank for you interest

Riccardo

PS: yesterday I replied you from GNUMail on Gentoo, Today on 10.5 intel! Power of GNUMail! I wonder, if you set it up, if you can send mails fine. I have certain issues on GNUstep which I do not have consistent on Mac.