Re: [ANN] Updates to GNUstep FreeBSD ports

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [ANN] Updates to GNUstep FreeBSD ports
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 14:34:31 +0200

Hi David,

thanks for the useful work.

On 26/08/2017 13:32, David Chisnall wrote:
Hello all,

Last weekend, I committed a bunch of updates to the GNUstep ports on FreeBSD,
which should have hit package mirrors by now.  Immediately after I’d done that,
Riccardo released new versions of Pantomime and GNUmail, so I’ve also updated
those - packages should appear in a day or so.  Changes include:

Default clang version used to build all Objective-C ports bumped to 4.0.

Any particular issues with it?

All of the other GNUstep packages will be rebuilt using the newer frameworks.

I just released LaternaMagica, if you care to update that one too.

Would you mind adding FTP from GAP ?

I’ve also patched a load of older apps that haven’t been updated for a while to
build with the newer GNUstep-Make.  There are a bunch of unmaintained things
that probably need to be garbage collected.  If someone could take a look at
the things installed by the gnustep-app metapackage
(http://www.freshports.org/x11/gnustep-app/) and let me know which ones are not
worth keeping, that would be helpful

If some packages have "no home" but are deemed useful, it might be interesting to import them in e.g. gnustep-nonfsf or GAP and merge the patches in or maybe even just in github to give them a home, if they are apps of "general".

I see you package Jishyo. Does it "work" for you? E.g. search for egg.

Rob Burns imported it into GAP a while ago and it received a couple of build patches, but it doesn't work for me and Rob "disappeared" so no further work was done. Maybe you have patches to share? Look up in the dictionary generates an NSLog but no user output in the window.

Riccardo