Re: Boiling the Oceans [was Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews]

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Boiling the Oceans [was Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews]
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 17:29:44 +0000

I don't have evidence for that one way or another, but the point stands that the Mac port uses CALayer. I was stating that featuresets are so striking that even without looking at the code I can guess there is a tight interaction between DOM and CALayers.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017, 15:20 David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
On 2 Aug 2017, at 14:42, Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net> wrote:

> WebKit's Mac port uses loads of APIs that are available only under macOS, too. It should not come as a surprise that it heavily relies on Core Animation, for example, if you compare CA with some of the more recent additions to CSS (animations, transforms, etc).
>
> Consider how that relates to the amount of work to make it even compile…

With the exception of some games, most web pages will render just fine if you simply ignore most of those CSS attributes.

David