Re: GNUstep in Windows 10 - Epic Fail

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep in Windows 10 - Epic Fail
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 12:43:41 +0200

Hi Jay,

On 08/07/2017 00:51, Jay Versluis wrote:
1.) Does GNUstep even run on Windows 10? Or am I trying the impossible?

Yes it does work. I actually work on Windows 7, but I tested the resulting applications on windows 8 and windows 10 and they do run fine.

2.) Those installers… how old are they, and what version Windows have they been tested with?

If I am correct, they are from last year and have been tested from Windows Vista to Windows 10.

3.) Am I correct in assuming that all my efforts inside Windows need to be done inside MINGW? Or does this need to happen on the Windows command line?

You are correct, although you could also say that mingw is running in your command line.

4.) Even with all the time I’m pouring into this “tapping in the dark” experience, will I ever be able to compile a standalone command-line Windows app? What I mean is, is this actually possible? Has anyone successfully done it?

Yes, of course, also graphical applications run.

I’m still hopeful that I can utilise Objective-C for cross platform development. But if I’m beating a dead horse here, please let me know.

You can. I distribute and work daily with GS GUI applications. I do however use GCC and not clang, so that may be an additional issue as may be not. I also ported a couple of GS applications to WIndows just to prove that it can be done :)

Also, there is the win32 and the cairo backend to choose with, depending on the bugs and features you need and want to fight with :) Apart from its known alpha-channel limitation, the win32 "GDI" backend works perfectly for me, but it does not work well with scaled displays (high res display where the interface is scaled e.g. 125%). I don't know if it can be improved and/or the cairo backend suffers of that too. However you are working with command-line, so that is a totally different thing.

Have fun.

Riccardo