Re: Newbie back again...

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Newbie back again...
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 10:10:09 +0100

On 24 Apr 2017, at 09:57, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<richard.frith-macdonald@theengagehub.com> wrote:

> Setting variables in make is fairly straightforward, but I think only you
> (and clang geeks) understand how these flags are actually supposed to work.
>
> How are you supposed to turn use of the non-fragile ABI on/off  what flags do
> you need to supply at compile time and what (if any) are supplied at link
> time for
> a. building with the non-fragile ABI and
> b. building without non-fragile ABI

Non-fragile ABI is the default with all modern runtimes.  The correct way of
specifying a runtime is with -fobjc-runtime={name}-{version}.  So, for a recent
GNUstep runtime, you’d pass -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.7.  The compiler will then
enable all of the features that it knows that this version of the runtime
supports.  For example, it will use objc_msgSend on architectures where the
runtime supports this, but use the two-stage lookup on other platforms.

> To what extent are other features dependent on it?  eg. can you have ARC
> without nonfragile ABI?

No, ARC requires the non-fragile ABI.

David