Re: ProjectCenter template and conflicting resource files

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ProjectCenter template and conflicting resource files
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 10:19:15 +0100

Hi,

On 07/01/2017 23:23, Graham Lee wrote:
the Application project template in ProjectCenter contains both a .gorm file and .gsmarkup files. The GNUmakefile includes all of these as resources for the target. This is confusing, as I wasn't sure what I needed to edit in order to design my application. After some testing (on Linux, I haven't tested on Mac) I found that the .gorm file was being used by the built app, but the .gsmarkup files do not seem to be. I tested this by editing the title of a main menu item in each then building the app: only when I edited the menu in the .gorm file did my changes appear.

I will fix this template up so that it only contains one UI definition. My preference would be to keep the .gorm file, but would the maintainers prefer people use GORM or GSMarkup? Or is there a reason I've missed why the project template would include both?

If it were for me, I would just throw away the GSMarkup file - but it is me, being biased for Gorm files. Since I am only the "de facto" maintainer of PC and that officially it is more or less community maintained, I resisted throwing away the GSMarkup, although it has always bothered me too.

To make a clean solution, one would need different templates or choose the style of GUI app, but I guess this is a bigger task and back then who added this feature just choose to throw in everything in the template.

We could remove it now to be added back on request later with a cleaner option, being honest and knowing that it will perhaps never happen or happen in years to come :) :)

Riccardo