Re: mulle-objc #MakeObjCGreatAgain

From: Edwin Ancaer
Subject: Re: mulle-objc #MakeObjCGreatAgain
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 15:04:14 +0100

I don't have experience with this kind of varied environments, so this might be a stupid question...

let's imagine I created this wonderful application with GNUstep.
And imagine that for a popular Linux distribution there is a packaged version for GNUstep (base, make, gui & back) made with compiler A and runtime A.
And then again, imagine I packaged my application for this distibution, but with Compiler B/Runtime B ;

If someone used the package manager to install GNUstep and my application, would this be guaranteed to be working?

On 1 Dec 2016, at 21:16, Luboš Doležel <lubos@dolezel.info> wrote:

> Dne 1.12.2016 v 17:30 David Chisnall napsal(a):
>> On 1 Dec 2016, at 16:26, Matt Butch <mbutch@volitans-software.com> wrote:
>>> I’m hoping to be able to use Objective-C on servers, so Mulle-Objc might be a good option for that. If it can get a good community behind it, even better.
>> I’m not sure why Mulle-Objc brings there.  I know of three different Foundation implementations (GNUstep, one for FreeBSD that makes heavy use of kqueue, and WinObjC) that use all use the GNUstep Objective-C runtime, which provides a superset of the features that Apple provides.
>>
>> David
>>
> I second this. I fail to see the benefits of yet another runtime…

That’s not quite what I said.  I exchanged some emails with the author about a year ago when he was starting.  He’s got some interesting ideas (a few of which we tried with the Étoilé runtime that didn’t work so well in wider deployment, but many others that are definitely worth exploring).

However, if your aim is to run Objective-C code on a server, then that need is already met by existing runtimes.  The GCC runtime has been used in production in this role for over two decades.  It was being used with object-relational mapping in GNUstepWeb before Ruby on Rails was a gleam in its creators eye.  The GNUstep runtime is now almost a decade old and has been used in large-scale deployment for almost as long, and supports all of the features of modern Objective-C.

If this is your goal, it’s already met.  Mulle-Objc might also meet it, but it doesn’t change the game in any way,

David