Re: Distribution of gnustep-based software

From: Michele Bert
Subject: Re: Distribution of gnustep-based software
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 23:38:09 +0200

Il 20/10/16 18:01, Riccardo Mottola ha scritto:
Michele Bert wrote:
I need to create a multiplatform gui app, which later has to be
distributed to quite unexperienced users (let me say that way).
what platforms do you want to distirbute on?
Thanks all for the answers. I give you further details, and one more question.
My need is to write a program for a guy who own a windows 10 (or 8, I'm not sure), but what I have is a mac (El capitan), or a lubuntu on a virtual machine (not very fluently usable, really), and for short periods the pc of my girlfriend with windows 7.
Thus I thought this would be the opportunity I was looking for to work seriously on gnustep.
I can't put my and on his pc, and I know he's not experienced on PC, so the best scene would be to send him a zip, he just have to unpack and double click on an icon, eventually with some aid by me through phone or skype.

The other question is how to organize my development environment. Possibilities are:
1. develop with Xcode, than recompile on windows 7 pc, and send the result to my friend.
2. install gnustep on my Mac, by compiling official packages (but I'm having some trouble)
3. install gnustep through macport

At the moment I'm following the first way, just to refresh my memory about gnustep/cocoa developing, but I don't know what I should care about, to facilitate porting to gnustep.

For the second solution, I'm stuck to base compilation, since it looks not to find the objc-compiler (which I suppose should be inside the Xcode.app boundle). The command ./configure --prefix=/opt/local says:

--

I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.

--

Exploring the third way, I found a port package called "gnustep-make-cocoa", but I haven't found any specific documentation about it. Have anyone tryed it? Is it a make package to compile gnustep programs through the cocoa framework?

Any suggestion is wellcome. Thanks again

--
Mick Bert