Re: NSLog suddenly mirroring to /var/log/user.log, /var/log/warnings, an

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSLog suddenly mirroring to /var/log/user.log, /var/log/warnings, and /var/log/syslog
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 15:31:02 +0100

> On 4 Aug 2016, at 15:16, Lobron, David <dlobron@akamai.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have an application that sends NSLog output to a custom location.  A few
> days ago, the log lines suddenly started mirroring to /var/log/user.log,
> /var/log/warnings, and /var/log/syslog.  I did not make any changes to my
> program or the GNUStep runtime.  From a read of the NSLog docs, it seems like
> this should not be able to happen.  Has anyone seen this before?

I would be surprised if it's being mirrored (identical copies), but it seems
quite likely that you are seeing output from syslog.

NSLog() will produce log output via syslog if *either* the GSLogSyslog user
default is set *or* if the attempt to write to stderr fails.

So I would guess someone changed your user default or, something closed stderr,
or stderr is pointing to something that's unwritable (eg a full filesystem).