Re: Newer GNUSTEP Install Instructions for PC-BSD 11.0 ?

From: James Pannozzi
Subject: Re: Newer GNUSTEP Install Instructions for PC-BSD 11.0 ?
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 08:09:49 -0400

Aha !  The voice of experience !

(caution, next line not a gnustep question)
How do I get XFCE on there ?  Do I just type in pkg install XFCE ...or is there more to it than that ? (!!)

Again, thanks.

J.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 4:24 AM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
On 5 Jul 2016, at 06:22, jimserac@gmail.com wrote:

> OK, that worked and I can compile GNUStep apps now - BUT...the apps don't have a menu bar on top of them !!  What have I forgotten to install ?

That’s normal for GNUstep.  The default menu style is NeXT-like.  If you want in-window menu bars, then you should run:

$ defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSMenuInterfaceStyle NSWindows95InterfaceStyle

> This is on PC-BSD 11.0 CURRENT, which, I know, is not a release version.
>
> I'll check the libraries and try to figure it out.  Right now, for example the GoMoku program or GPuzzle, the windows are stuck in the upper left corner of my desktop with no way to move them !  Maybe something I need to fix in Resources ?

This sounds like a problem interacting with the window manager.  With most window managers you can hold alt and drag a window if it appears off the screen. I’ve had issues with Lumina (the PC-BSD DE) with a number of apps (in particular, it doesn’t tell apps that it’s using the top bit of the screen for its own launcher, so you end up with the title bar hidden) so I tend to use XFCE on FreeBSD.

David