Re: gnustep-base tests

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: gnustep-base tests
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 18:29:10 -0400

I feel like I'm having deja vu. We spoke about this a few months back. The issue is that the ICU's "display" functions are not guaranteed to have a stable output. Makes sense, because languages and conventions change over time.

This issue is unrelated to this problem. Without looking at the code and going only off memory, the issue has to do with the fact that we're testing for a particular behavior, but ICU changed since the test was written. It's tough writing tests for ICU, because there are no guarantees anywhere. The only guarantee is that a human being will be able to interpret it. The ICU output changed some time around version 4.4 or 48.

Still, these shouldn't be a "hopeful" just because the tests should always pass, a (nil), for example, is not acceptable.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get manage write these tests to reflect the intent? We want to make sure regressions aren't introduced in future releases.

Regards