Re: Window/menu reversed layer ordering issue

From: Patryk Laurent
Subject: Re: Window/menu reversed layer ordering issue
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 22:15:07 +0000 (GMT)

Josh,

Thank you for the link to the bug report and for forwarding Fred's hint!  I'll take a peek.

Patryk

On Feb 28, 2016, at 12:48 AM, Josh Freeman <gnustep_lists@twilightedge.com> wrote:

Seems to be an issue on some window managers, including Compiz
(Ubuntu's default WM):
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45442

Since filing the bug, I've also seen ordering issues on KWin WM
(PC-BSD w/KDE).

PikoPixel.app works around the Compiz menu-ordering issue by
manually setting all submenu windows' levels to NSMainMenuWindowLevel
- this keeps submenus in front of normal windows, but the drawback is
that submenus can then obscure the main menu (if they're moved to
overlap it).

If you're interested in figuring out a general fix & submitting a
patch, Fred Kiefer had suggested looking at setwindowlevel:: in back/
Source/x11/XGServerWindow.m (1).

Cheers,

Josh

(1) http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2015-09/msg00029.html