Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 16:55:37 +0100

Hi,

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Lack of manpower (and perhaps poisitive incentive) leadss to slow progress, but
that’s very different from complacency.
Nobody needs disrupting/shocking out of complacency, what’s needed is
contributions to actually fix bugs and implement missing features.

You speak out of my heart.

Also, I watched the video and none of the mentioned "problems" was really new to me and several of them already ave a bug open

Actually the video itself shows how much has already been accomplished
If done with current SVN stuff, I suppose (and hope) that some of the mentioned problems have been solved. Some of them directly by myself and some by you.
I think that’s what Riccardo was saying, and while I can see how you might
think his response was insulting to your effort, please consider that;
a. he’s frustrated by the fact that, over the years, he’s repeatedly been told
that his work is not good enough, by people who aren’t actually contributing
code improvements themselves
b. your response to a (possibly misinterpreted/imagined) insult was to be
extremely, disproportionately insulting (at least we are left in no doubt about
whether you intended to be insulting or not)

I did not want to insult, I just wanted to be a little harsh about the methods and contents, feeling a little offended by the video. I ask forgiveness and hope that made my position clearer.. While with Thom there were no doubts about his intentions in his latter mail.

Riccardo