Re: Theming icons : questions

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Theming icons : questions
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 00:46:42 +0100

Hi,

Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:
I will have some time to work on my icon set (RikIcons) these days.
I'd like to theme several icons of GWorkspace (HardDisk, Live folder), or several app icons (GSPDF, TextEdit, LaternaMagica...).

AppIcons are themable with the method you discovered from Tango. It was implemented during Dublin by Richard and Tango is the first usage. I envision a whole icon package, so the feel of several apps can be made consistent together. I see that I am not the only one feeling like this.

I've got several questions :

- Is there some additional work in GUI or in the apps themselves that's need to be done in order to make these icons themable ?

Yes, there is. The application icons themselves should work now. But about other icons, it depends on the application itself and how they are loaded. Only named images can be themed and they need to be properly retrieved from the bundle.

To be able to fully use the Tango theme, you need both current SVN for gui and GWorkspace, since I fixed the code to make certain icons themable. But I haven't worked on all of them.

- How should I name these icons ? I've tried for now to reproduce the naming used in the Tango theme : I've created an "org.gnustep.GWorkspace/Recycler" folder in my tree and I've put the Recycler Icon in it. Should I create as well an "org.gnustep.FSNode.HardDisk" folder with the HardDisk.tiff icon inside ?

If I remember correctly, the disk icon of GWorkspace comes from the common system images. We only have one icon, there is not distinction between hard disk, usb keys and optical disks. It would be eye candy, but I don't know how to do that right now in a cross-platform way.. Perhaps CDs could be recognized by getting information about the filesystem.

- Shouldn't all GWorkspace related icons or FSNode related icons live in the same folder ?

Each Framework/Bundle may have its own Resources. FSNode is used by different applications (e.g GWorkspace and Recycler) so an icon inside there is done for all apps.
That is true for all Frameworks, you need to theme them only once.

- Shouldn't the HardDisk icon be a system-wide icon available in GUI (as Recycler.tiff) ?

I think to remember there is. I checked if Apple has a specific name for it, but couldn't find one, so it is not an official apple named image.

- Is it now possible to theme the icons of mimetypes (a custom pdf icon used by GSPDF.app...) ?

More than mimetypes, it should be document types for each application. I haven't investigated yet.
As I haven't investigated (but fear it won't work) for Images in Gorm files.
Again, the best would be for Gorms to use the Resources and not image shipped inside gorm files. I already requested this in Gorm and it is only roughly implemented.

Riccardo