Re: Please, no GitHub

From: ChanMaxthon
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 16:44:16 +0800

Richard:

> On Dec 14, 2015, at 14:38, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>> If you want people to host their free software at somewhere other
>> than Github can you list a few options that have the same level of
>> quality of service as Github?
>
> Our goal is to give computer users freedom.  We develop the GNU system
> so users can use computers in freedom.
>
> Freedom sometimes requires a sacrifice.  Crucial for leading others to
> join in defending freedom is to set an example of making freedom our
> priority.  We sacrifice convenience for freedom, not vice versa.
> Fortunately, the sacrifice here is small.

For some of us this sacrifice of convenience can be a roadblock, especially for
GNUstep (try type [NSApplicationDelegate
application:didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:] without referring to any reference
material. A handful eh? That is the very first line of Objective-C code the
library calls for a GUI app.)

It is exactly this convenience issue being the roadblock of me contributing to
those projects. I am trying to sort out such inconveniences by creating a set
of new tools under the umbrella name StepCode (won't be GPL-licensed though, it
carries the 3c-BSDL) based on LLVM/clang (also not GPL code)