Re: Please, no GitHub

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 01:38:44 -0500

  > If you want people to host their free software at somewhere other
  > than Github can you list a few options that have the same level of
  > quality of service as Github?

Our goal is to give computer users freedom.  We develop the GNU system
so users can use computers in freedom.

Freedom sometimes requires a sacrifice.  Crucial for leading others to
join in defending freedom is to set an example of making freedom our
priority.  We sacrifice convenience for freedom, not vice versa.
Fortunately, the sacrifice here is small.

  > There is a package called GitBucket that packs (almost) all Github
  > features and quality of service. It is free software, can be
  > hosted standalone, and I don’t think Savannah team will have any
  > problem maintaining an instance (which takes absolutely zero
  > effort).

GitBucket sounds like a good thing, but we need to check the facts.
Supposing it turns out as good as you present it, services running
GitBucket will probably satisfy most of our repo criteria too (but not
automatcally all of them).

I will ask the Savannah hackers to look at it and consider whether
running it on Savannah makes sense.  I can foresee that integrating it
with the rest of Savannah may take work.  Running GitBucket as a
separate service is also an option we can consider.

The Savannah volunteers are overloaded already.  Thus, anything I ask
them to do is going to take time.  If someone would please volunteer
to join that team, that would greatly help us to provide bettet service
and make improvements.

--
Dr Richard Stallman