Re: Please, no GitHub

From: Derek Fawcus
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:05:35 +0000

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:27:51AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

> However, rather than just criticize GitHub, we developed a set of
> repo criteria (https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html) to judge
> repository sites by.

As far as I can see,  the existance of the Github JSON API [1] allows it
to meet all of the criteria in section C of that document,  and hence be
an acceptable host.

I tried sending some manual requests to it from within a browser with JS
disabled,  and received the documented responses.  So interactions over
and above the remote git CLI access are possible w/o running any javascript.

I'd suggest that on the licencing side,  offering the user the
choice qualifies as 'at least as much as any other kind of licensing.' (C5).

The 'flaw' complained about in another message seems to be B2,  and as
such not necessary to be acceptable.

[1] https://developer.github.com/v3/

DF