Re: Plans for ahead

From: James Carthew
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 15:21:05 +1100

Why not try implementing something similar to the Milk theme for OS X: http://cdn.appstorm.net/mac.appstorm.net/files/2009/03/theme_milk-620x295.jpg I’m sure we can come up with a really nice way to skin the GNUstep Menu’s so they lose a bit of the chunky look and look a bit smoother/nicer, while not completely cloning OSX.

On 4 December 2015 at 13:47, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:
Richard,

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:26 PM,  <richard@frithmacdonald.me.uk> wrote:
> Heh.  GNUstep's look is UGLY.   The fact that I was a developer on
> NeXT machines 20 years ago and that I am the maintainer should add
> some weight to my opinion.
>
> I don't think so ... Software development expertise is no indicator of
> aesthetic judgment.  I don't expect my 4th Dan aikido qualification to add
> weight to my judgment on macro economics for instance.

Perhaps you're right.  ;)   Though I don't necessarily agree with your
analogy as it appears that Aikido should have nothing to do with Macro
Economic where was my experience with NeXT and it's user interface
does, but that's not important right now. :)  I've used the NeXT
platform for many years, as have we all and I suppose that's why I
have the opinion I do.   I suppose saying UGLY is too harsh, but dated
is better.

I, however, can only say from experience
that when I was at SCALE in California that practically every person
that approached me said that GNUstep looked old because of the default
theme.

Understand, I am not proposing to get rid of it.  I am simply saying
that it gives a very bad impression.   It looks like Tcl/Tk and that's
what people think it is.   Thus they believe it's OLD.

> I have yet to see a system I like as much as NeXT step on a large screen,
> though I grant that GNUstep looks clunky on low res and small screens.
> That's just one personal preference.

This is true.   It does look good on large screens, and clunky on old
ones.   What I'm trying to drive towards is a theme everyone can agree
on that doesn't look like the old NeXT theme.

> Sent from my android device.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento