Re: [FOSDEM] Desktops DevRoom 2016: Call for Participation

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: [FOSDEM] Desktops DevRoom 2016: Call for Participation
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 12:14:11 +0000

> Am 01.12.2015 um 11:12 schrieb David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>:
>
> It ought to be relatively easy to copy them for other platforms, assuming
> that someone can convince the Debian clang package maintainer not to force
> clang to depend on the GCC Objective-C runtime (using GNUstep on
> Debian/Ubuntu is painful because you have to force-uninstall a package that
> keeps trying to reinstall itself to get basic functionality working).

I think that’s only part of the problem. The bigger part is that Linux package
managers still only ship a runtime that is not on par with what most people
have come to expect from an Objective-C development environment. It’s massively
confusing for anybody how doesn’t already know their way around GNUstep [0]. To
be totally honest, I don’t think that shipping the gcc runtime is useful
anymore (it’s effectively a dead piece of code in the gcc repository anyways —
nobody has done anything substantial on it since 2011), given that the GNUstep
runtime can support code compiled with GCC just fine.

Cheers,

Niels

[0] Cf. https://github.com/SSheldon/rust-objc/pull/27#issuecomment-160052370 if
you need an example.