Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 16:52:23 +0100

Hi

(removing most CC'd people, since they can read us on the mailing list)

Adam S wrote:
So - we have a passion for NeXTStep and GNUStep, and its really key that we keep GNU going and inject some life back into it.

Granted :) Or I wouldn't be working for GNU-related stuff. Seeing where proprietary OS's are going

Open to discussion of course, but how I feel we can do this is by working together and develop GNUStep into something great which acts as both a homage to NeXTStep OS but also gives us the opportunity to develop our "one day I want to do..." projects!

Sure. GNUstep is just a piece, the foundation where you can build on. Actually, you need an underlying OS, but there you have a broad choice and that is what I like in GNUstep.
- Almost any Linux Flavour
- FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD work nowadays all very well with GNUstep! Remember that NeXT was BSD based - Solaris from version 8+ (although 7 perhaps still works). Due to thread stuff we dropped vintage 2.5/2.6 so if you have a trusty SparcStation either you upgrade OS or change to a BSD flavour
- limited but working Windows support (I need to try ReactOS)

I don't know how Darwin fits

As an example I'm working on Cuboid, a mini replica NeXT Cube using Raspbian and GNU. I've already had help and support from Richard and Riccardo, and I can't wait to share the end result with everyone!

Ok - so do we want to do this through this email, LinkedIn or a Google group maybe?

I retrict LinkedIn to professional use. Like facebook for work :) also quite filled nowadays with marketing and propaganda. While having GNUstep there might help our "business image" home projects like yours perhaps find a better place elsewhere. I'd prefer not using Google+. Perhaps facebook is fine, put shiny pictures in our group :)

However, if you have technical issues, questions and discussion about the libraries and most applications, just use the Mailing list here. Most of the Steppers read this place, so it is the place where you are most likely to get an answer!

Riccardo