Re: broke my GWorkspace...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: broke my GWorkspace...
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:56:45 +0200

Hi,

Gaël Elegoët wrote:
Ok thanks, I've found it in /usr/local/share/GNUstep/Makefiles indeed.
I had to change the group permissions from staff to root, otherwise it
wouldn't run. Then GWorkspace compiled fine.
But now if I do sudo make install , it says :

$ sudo make install
GNUmakefile:5: /common.make: No such file or directory
GNUmakefile:33: /aggregate.make: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/aggregate.make'.  Stop.

even though these files are there in the Makefiles folder...
if I try just make install , it starts installing then gives me errors :

mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Frameworks': Permission
denied
make[2]: *** [/usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Frameworks] Error 1
make[1]: *** [FSNode.install.framework.variables] Error 2
make: *** [internal-install] Error 2

It is strange to find stuff in /usr/local/share and then installation in /usr/local/lib : how did you configure gnustep-make?

On Debian "sudo" clears your path.. and thus also the GNUstep environment vars. I am unable to use it with success even for apt-get or aptitude.
You might have more luck with "sudo -E".

I see two easy alternatives:
- give your group (e.g. staff) group write permission to the target directories (which would have been easier if it had been just /usr/GNUstep or /usr/local/GNUstep) - use "su" (not su -), resource GNUstep.sh, install, exit. It is convenient to "make" without root permissions and just use root to install

Riccardo