Beginner developer documentation

From: Svetlana A. Tkachenko
Subject: Beginner developer documentation
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:58:39 +1000

Hi all,

Found the GORM and AppKit reference manuals, but both appear to have not
very many exercises/problem sets. Something simple such as an arithmetic
operation by a button click, with example solution (for some exercises
at least) to compare with. Thus far I can easily use GORM to design the
window layout, but I am stuck trying to learn where and how and what to
program even for simple things. If possible, please suggest more
documentation with "2+2=4" level examples.

I did find http://www.gnustep.org/experience/examples.html but that is
way beyond my level.

Some current questions:
- where do things go (into which files)
- how do get things programmatically (input box values and so on)
- how to do anything network related
- tiny examples to get used to the language and the project architecture

I had also tried to figure out how to put the documentation from
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/ , man pages and
/usr/share/doc/$package-name/* into HelpViewer.app for offline use, but
did not get anywhere as I did not understand what format it needs or
which location to put the files in.

--
Svetlana A. Tkachenko
Member of the Free Software Foundation