Re: Is anyone using -fobjc-gc?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Is anyone using -fobjc-gc?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 18:46:00 +0200

Hi,

Richard Frith-Macdonald ha scritto:
While both David and I have put a lot of effort into*two*  different sets of GC
support (both Apple compatible and pre-Apple), and therefore I guess have an
emotional investment in it, my objective side says that it just makes the
source code more complex and therefore less maintainable and we’d be better off
removing it.

So, should we remove GC support from GNUstep (as well as saying it’s fine to
remove it from clang)?

I sometimes enabled it to build & test that my software works for it, but everything in GAP and other source I work on uses RR, so for me removing it won't break anything. I remember when Richard implemented GC before Apple. so ti was some sort of GNUstep feature, but I don't know of anything that depends on it, not anything that I used on my computers.

Riccardo