Re: What is the best place to start gdnc, gpbs and make_services?

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: What is the best place to start gdnc, gpbs and make_services?
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 16:08:21 +0200

Hi Ivan,

thanks a lot for your elaborate answer but having a  full-blown desktop environment is not the use case I am going to have. As I said in another thread I am currently preparing a FreeBSD baesd VirtualBox VDI aimed at developers who want to try out GNUstep development. So the GUI of this installation is basically limited to WindowMaker and GWorkspace (which is basic but enough in this case for now).

Currently I start my GUI sessions with startx, so I have the following ~/.xinitrc

#!/bin/sh
exec wmaker &
GWorkspace

I now wonder if there are alternate ways to start an X-session under my circumstances and if launching gpbs and GWorkspace in some sort of Windowmaker startup script (not good if the User installs another Windowmanager I guess).

But your hint probably was more thought towards the GUI developers to integrate such a mechanism into the code or I am mistaken here?

regards,

Lars