Re: Using GCC

From: John W Kennedy
Subject: Re: Using GCC
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 23:02:28 -0400

On 2015-04-07 18:08:54 +0000, Luboš Doležel said:

On 04/07/2015 07:39 PM, Patryk Laurent wrote:

On Apr 6, 2015, at 1:51 PM, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

GNUstep should work as good with gcc as it does with clang.

Hi Fred,

Just to clarify, does GCC now support features like ARC, blocks and grand central dispatch?

Thank you,
Patryk

ARC and Blocks: no

GCD is just an API, so as long as you don't use functions accepting
blocks, you should be fine.

Yes and no. There is a kernel GCD and there is a Foundation GCD, and kernel GCD is not necessarily stable when used with Foundation, at least on Apple.

I should rephase that. On Apple, Foundation is not necessarily stable when used with kernel GCD. If you are using Foundation at all, then if you wish to use GCD, you must use the Foundation GCD mechanisms (NSOperation, NSOperationQueue, etc.), rather than the kernel GCD mechanisms (dispatch_get_main_queue, etc.). Naturally, this has no direct bearing on whether the code will work on GNUStep, but there is a portability danger, and the problem involves race conditions, so it may work for months and then suddenly start to fail.

--
John W Kennedy
"I want everybody to be smart. As smart as they can be. A world of ignorant people is too dangerous to live in."