Re: GNUstep's lack of progress and Apple's holding back Swift language

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep's lack of progress and Apple's holding back Swift language
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 19:27:48 -0400

James,

Unfortunately, in spite of it being "useless and boring" it is also
necessary since it will likely become the defacto language on Apple
platforms supplanting ObjC.   Personally, having some experience with
Swift, I don't understand why it's perceived to be better than ObjC.
It's syntax is closer to C or C++ but incorporates "named" parameters
(something which is a proposed feature of the newest C++ standard, I
may add).   It seems that the reason so many people are happy about
Swift is because it's NOT ObjC, for whatever sense that makes.

Swift does make it easier to detect some issues because it is strongly
typed.   This is what the whole "optionals" features is all about.

It would be wonderful if more people would help port apps and
implement those APIs which are required to support them.

GC