Re: GNUStep 20th anniversary - GNUstep summit

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUStep 20th anniversary - GNUstep summit
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 09:33:02 +0000

On 8 Mar 2015, at 01:14, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

>> another
>> cometogether in Cambridge would be the the best option for me, but David
>> seems have to lost interest in GNUstep :-(
>>
> I hope he hasn't lost all interest. Once a GNUstepper always a GNUstepper. ;)

Fred isn't totally wrong, unfortunately.  I find that I have increasingly
little spare time to spend on GNUstep due to involvement in other projects (in
particular, FreeBSD consumes a lot of my open source hacking time).  I'm also
finding it increasingly difficult to find motivation to invest time in
Objective-C code - C++11 now, for me, fills the niche that Objective-C did
(compiled, can be statically linked with no run-time dependencies, some late
binding where needed, reference counting / ownership semantics) and
higher-level languages with strong memory safety guarantees are more
interesting for everything else.

That said, I'd be happy to host another meeting in Cambridge.  We're a bit
constrained by term dates (and by the fact that I spend a slightly excessive
amount of time travelling), but outside of term we could probably find a
college that's willing to host a nice dinner without much difficulty.

David

-- Send from my Jacquard Loom